Performance based standards
The performance based standards (PBS) scheme vehicles are designed to perform their tasks as productively, safely and sustainably as possible. These trucks and buses are tested against 16 stringent safety standards and four infrastructure standards.
The scheme has been in operation since October 2007 and was administered by the NTC until January 2013 when it was transferred to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Performance Based Standards Scheme January 2013 (247 KB)
- Performance Based Standards Final Regulatory Impact Statement March 2012 (1 MB)
- Performance Based Standards Draft Regulatory Impact Statement March 2010 (1 MB)
- PBS Scheme Review July 2009 (528 KB)
- PBS Review Discussion Paper December 2008 (1 MB)